I was shocked with a revelation the other day.
Many of the things I do to my children, I would never dream of doing in my leadership.
Parenting and leadership have many similarities even though the tools are applied in radically different ways.
Most people would describe me as a gracious, releasing, and encouraging leader. I give people the freedom to make mistakes and do not micro manage.
If I look at my parenting, I can tend to be:
– Critical rather than gracious.
– Controlling rather than releasing.
– Speaking about areas of growth far more than encouraging.
– Attempting to prevent mistakes my children might make.
– Micro-manage their lives rather than allowing them to “make a mess.”
I know parenting is very different than leading adults, but I was shocked when I looked at my “leadership” through this lens.