I’ve spent a lot of time and space recently exploring ways Not to relate to God.
- We explored the false pretense saying God is required to bless us for right lifestyle.
– Truth, although powerful and needed, can actually be a substitute for relationship with God.
- The consumer God mindset, where He becomes your WalMart was analyzed.
- And we contemplated how being active and living on mission can subtlety replace God in our lives.
All of these posts and explorations have been inspired by the most thought provoking book I have read in a long time.
[amazon_link id=”B005EH36QE” target=”_blank” ]With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God[/amazon_link] by Skye Jethani shows how the change of a simple preposition can affect our walk with God.
- When we live Under God it says we have power to demand blessings based on our lifestyle.
- A life lived Over God takes truth and turns it into a formula. If we just follow the plan life will be grand. We are in the driver’s seat.
- Life From God comes when we can place our cosmic order and God is the great take-out guy in the sky.
- A life lived For God, while admirable, can easily lead us into the place of works for acceptance.
While each of these pursuits has an element of truth, they can lead us out of balance.
We were created before sin to be with God (Genesis 1-2). When sin is eventually be done away with we will dwell with him once again (Revelation 21-22)
Life in between is a pursuit of Him.
There are countless references to With in Scripture.
Ephesians 2:5 “when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ, by grace you have been saved”
Matthew 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us). “
God’s plan to restore creation was not to:
– Send us a list of rules and rituals to follow (Life under God)
– Nor was it implementation of useful principles (Life Over God)
– He did not send us a genie to grant us our desires (Life From God)
– Nor did he give us a task to accomplish (Life For God)
He sent Himself to be With us!
John 1:1, 14 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. “
Life With God doesn’t use God, it makes Him our ultimate desire.
God is the Goal!
Parts of these “Under, Over, For, and From journeys are right and should be apart of all of our lives.
But these expressions must be surrounded with an ultimate emphasis on being with God first and foremost.
This gives appropriate expression to works, to blessings, to obedience, and to mission
Just as Israel was delivered from Egypt to “dwell with God”, so we are on a path to return to being With Him.
[amazon_image id=”B005EH36QE” link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God[/amazon_image]
Please consider picking up a copy of Skye Jethani’s, [amazon_link id=”B005EH36QE” target=”_blank” ]With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God[/amazon_link]